- UIS has a long tradition of serving non-traditional students (UIS faculty care about providing access to higher education). [Photos] [Videos] [More Photos]
- Faculty enjoy working with the high-quality students who are attracted to the UIS online degree programs.
- Faculty get to know their online students really well through multiple weekly interactions; this is something that is valued by faculty.
- The UIS online programs attract diverse students - not just students from rural towns in central Illinois.
- Online teaching provides new opportunities for scholarship - many faculty have been able to publish papers about their online teaching experiences (P&T).
- Online education is now part of the UIS culture - it is expected of all new faculty.
- Teaching online gives faculty increased flexibility (travel, work from home, etc.).
- Emeritus faculty report being re-invigorated by online teaching.
- Faculty report that the new approaches they learn in teaching online can be used to improve their on-campus teaching.
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Faculty Reasons for Teaching Online
There are a number of reasons that faculty at UIS have for teaching online: